Friday, 14 October 2016

Essay

For my coursework project I have decided to focus on the idea of a zoo. I chose this idea as when I created my mind map I found there was many different aspects of a zoo which I could create for my final outcomes. This project will involve taking photographs of animals at a zoo and collecting different material from a zoo, such as leaflets, business cards etc. To begin with I created a mind map and recorded all the different ideas I had so that I had all my ideas in one place. From this I began to start research into different zoos: Knowsley Safari Park, Blackpool Zoo, ZSL London Zoo, Chester Zoo, The Koala Sanctuary. For each of these zoos I looked at the logos, websites, signage, park maps and any promotion material. This helped me to understand the general style that is used across different zoos and   what colour schemes are used etc. After carrying out this research I decided that my final outcome would be recreating a logo, enclosure signs and an advertisement for an existing zoo.

Now I know what my final outcomes are it meant that I could start to do further research and look at different artists and images which inspired me. To begin with I researched a few different logo designers: Paul Rand, Saul Bass and Milton Glaser. These three designers create logos for many different companies. I analysed their work and identified which parts of their work I liked and could take forward when creating my logo. Parts of Paul Rands and Milton Glasers designs inspired me however none of Saul Bass' designs influenced me. I didn't feel as though I had done enough research to begin creating my logo at this point therefore I looked at and annotated many different zoo logos, as this is specific to my chosen topic. I began to sketch out my logo design ideas but then I realised that I would like to create some artist responses before I produce my logo so that I can use the images which I have created within my logo.

To start with I wanted to carry out different experimentation to get my ideas flowing. I found an image of a mixed media giraffe on google which inspired me to create something similar, however I could not find the artist who created this image. From this image, I drew an elephant head in black berol pen on top of collaged newspaper. I then took this further by photocopying the design, I had created, multiple times and adding different coloured brusho ink into the background and experimenting with different colour schemes. I then added white gouache paint to one of my testers. I feel as though using the brusho ink worked well on my designs and the idea of using brusho ink as a background could be a possible technique to take forward in my project. I then drew a lions head using black berol pen and photocopied it several times. I think stuck them on a brusho ink background which I created. I added paw prints using brown paper and stencilled letters over them. I also flicked brown and yellow acrylic paint on the lion heads. I enjoyed creating these designs, experimenting and putting together different materials and ideas. However, at the moment I don't feel as though I will take any of these ideas further.

After finishing the mixed media experimentation, I decided to create a digital drawing of a giraffe. I carried this out on Adobe Illustrator and spent hours making sure I had put in enough detail for the image to look effective. After finishing the image, I am pleased with the outcome. I definitely want to take this technique further and maybe even use the giraffe image I have already created, within my logo or one of my final outcomes. I struggled to find an artist for this work however after more research I found a suitable artist which created similar style work.

1 comment:

  1. Very well written start to your bi-weekly blog Marnie. This will save you time and enable you to review what you have been doing and what you intend to do next. Try to keep this updated every two weeks please.
    Very well written with varied sentence openers and connectives. I like how you have explained everything from how you are designing and refining and the reasoning behind it. You also explain what you intend to do to take this forward. It feels like a genuine blog and I'm excited to read what you put next.

    ReplyDelete